We're a day behind on this week's Community Happenings, but it is all for good reason. I took a little weekend getaway to visit Philadelphia for the first time. I went to run the Philadelphia Love Run with a friend and some of you may have heard about the run as it is creating some buzz. Because Philadelphia is top of mind for me personally and since it is all over the news right now, here are a few facts about the city.
Philadelphia was founded by William Penn in 1682 and it is the birthplace of quite a few firsts. Ben Franklin founded what became the country's first university, the University of Pennsylvania, in 1740. In addition, Franklin founded the first hospital in the nation in 1751, and the first lending library, the Library Company of Philadelphia, in 1793. Other firsts include the Philadelphia Zoo as the first zoo in the U.S. in 1874, first daily newspaper, the Pennsylvania Packet and Daily Advertiser, 1784, and the country's first art school and art museum, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, in 1805.
Now, a look at what happened in the community, and around, last week.
Hello and welcome to our newest members! Welcome: Ivan Barzallo, Andrew Carey, Houyong Ding, Александр Потемкин, Wilko Eschebach, Dan Hendricks, Konstantinos Kravariotis, Brian Lube, Eric Maye, Kurt Myers, Shane Price, Chuck Rainy, Robert Suryasaputra, and Carlton Wallen.
We're glad you're all here and look forward to hearing from you! We'd love to learn more about you and invite you to say hello at: Introduce yourself: What Ciena products do you use?
- Of Oreos and Optical Networks: Ciena expands WaveLogic market through new component partners: Ciena is expanding the market reach of its industry-leading WaveLogic coherent modem technology by making it available to a range of industry participants. Get the details.
- 5 Benefits Layer 1 Encryption-as-a-Service Brings to Your Security Strategy: With all of the efforts to lock down data at rest with firewalls, anti-virus software, and intrusion detection, cyber criminals are turning their attention to intercepting the data in transit. Encryption-as-a-Service (EaaS) can help. Paulina Gomez gives 5 reasons why her new article. Learn more.
- Reducing the High Cost of Coaxial Cable: Over the years, cable operators have used coaxial distribution amplifiers to cover more subscribers and homes passed. But by driving optical fiber deeper, cable operators can improve performance and reliability, increase capability, become eco-friendlier, along with providing faster download and upload speeds. Discover more in this article on Network insights from Wayne Hickey.
- Unlocking the power of optical fiber spectrum (ET Telecom): With 277 million internet users recorded online in 2015 - and growing ever rapidly - India now holds the second largest population of internet users in the world according to the KPCB’s Internet Trends 2016 report. Learn more about how this led to a surge of bandwidth consumption from Ciena’s Ryan Perera in this teletalk post on ET Telecom.
- Confidence vs. Competence: Renee Reinke has started a conversation in our new Women@Ciena forum about the concept of Confidence vs Competence from Katty Kay and Claire Shipman, authors of The Confidence Code. Check it out and join the conversation.
- Ciena Course Spotlight: Our monthly Ciena course spotlight is all about virtualization. Learn more about three bite-sized online courses that will bring you up to speed on this topic. Don't forget to check out the upcoming Blue Planet Orchestrate DevOps Toolkit courses too.
Check out our open questions and share your expertise to help an industry colleague find a solution:
- Please explain me errors descriptions
- RAPs over EOS (Ethernet over SONET)
- Accedian Test on Reflector
- OME6500 and third-party RADIUS server
- G.8032 best practice?
- 6.16 vs. 6.15?
Have a question? Find your forum and ask the community.
Our most popular answered questions based on your views last were:
- What is the exact use of 6500 Site ID?
- Re: Where can I find complete detailed broucher for ciena 5400 and 6500 family products
- Is link loss forwarding supported on OME6500?
- Real Time Port Statistics
- STM64 Errors cause?
Meet other members and introduce yourself by sharing Introduce yourself: What Ciena products do you use?