Happy Monday! I hope you had a great weekend. It was beautiful in Baltimore, so we spent a lot of time outside in our neighborhood park. We regretted that we didn’t go to our first baseball game of the season because it was that beautiful out. Did you attend your first 2017 season game?
Here's a highlight of what happened last week in the community, and around.
Hello and Welcome
Hello and welcome to our newest members! Welcome: Jeffery Adams, Darshan Chickmagalur, Subhash Chopra, Emilio José Flores Vicente, Anurag Jindal, Sunil Mohta, Jose Montañez, Sebastien Pardo, Jeffrey Pitts, Kostya Pobigaylo, Tyler T, and Cliff Woodbury.
We're glad you're all here and look forward to hearing from you! We'd love to learn more about you and invite you to say hello at: Introduce yourself: What Ciena products do you use?
Share Your Experiences
Check out our open questions and share your expertise to help an industry colleague find a solution:
- What are your experiences with using Z-series & 6500/5400 hardware on same network?
- I am having issues installing OneControl Client 6.1 on Windows 8.1 laptop?
- How do I export from OneControl a list of the services provisioned on a 6500 network?
- Please explain me errors descriptions
- Correct cable for 3920 CLI access?
- 6.16 vs. 6.15?
- G.8032 best practice? (See comments for new questions.)
- RAPs over EOS (Ethernet over SONET)
- Supermux mapping preference
- Accedian Test on Reflector
Have a question? Find your forum and ask the community.
I Love Acronyms
I'm new to the telecom industry and looking to learn more about it, including the acronyms that will be used here, in the community. To make it more fun, we decided to make a challenge out of it and include you. Every other week, Erin Malone (Alumni) will share a new acronym and ask you to share what it represents without using Google, searching the official Ciena Acronym Guide, asking your colleagues, or using any other resource that you have available and within reach. Points will be awarded for the correct answer and bonus points to the first correct answer and most creative answer.
We shared our first acronym, see below. Tell us what is represents at I Love Acronyms: CAT.
Popular and Noteworthy
Our most popular answered questions based on your views last were:
- Correct cable for 3920 CLI access?
- I got a red led alarm on my Ciena CN3920. What does that mean? Can anybody help?
- Site Manager Software for 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Adding select type in objectarray
- Advanced 10G license for the 3931 - what features does it enable?
In Telecom News
- Ciena’s Blue Planet and ONAP: Embracing Openness and the Future of Networking: Ciena has officially joined the Linux Foundation's’ Open Networking Automation Platform (ONAP) project. Nirav Modi for our Blue Planet team, reported from the Open Networking Summit last week in Santa Clara, California, detailed the news. Check it out.
- New ONOS release helps automate networking configuration: The latest update to the ONOs open networking operating system should make it easier to automatically configure devices and services on a network. Learn how in this CIO article.
- Google Reveals Espresso, Its Edge Data Center SDN: Last week, Google revealed the latest in the series of technologies it has developed to improve performance of its global DCI. Learn more about Espresso on Data Center Knowledge.
- How ONAP Will Merge Millions of Lines of Code from ECOMP and Open-O: SDxCentral discusses how the new ONAP will merge code from AT&T’s ECOMP framework with the code from the Open-O project. Discover how.
- *SPARK* S.T.E.M Day at Ciena’s Alpharetta Office: Patricia McDonald led and hosted a *SPARK* S.T.E.M Day for a group of 30 girls from Centennial High School in Atlanta at the Ciena Alpharetta office. Read the entire story.
Of The Week
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke
Can you guess what national day falls on Saturday, April 15th? Take a wild guess!
Observed annually on April 15th, it is National Take a Wild Guess Day. One way to celebrate is to participate in our new I Love Acronyms Challenge... go ahead, take a guess and let us know what CAT represents: I Love Acronyms: April 4, 2017 before the challenge closes next Monday.
Did You Know
On April 12, 1961, aboard the spacecraft Vostok 1, Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin became the first human being to travel into space. In 89 minutes, he became the first man to orbit Earth. Vostok 1 orbited the planet at a maximum altitude of 187 miles and was guided entirely by an automatic control system. The only statement attributed to Gagarin during the flight was: “Flight is proceeding normally; I am well.”
Have a great week and keep networking! I look forward to hearing from you.