Welcome to June! Last week I was in Florida visiting family, so it’s good to be back and kick off a new week with all of you. We had a busy week with new questions and opportunities for collaboration. In addition, we have a new Member Spotlight: Fred Valcho. I recommend checking it out and getting to know Fred more as you’ll likely come across him in the community sharing his knowledge and experiences to help others, and you.
Additionally, we're leaving our current I Love Acronyms: HBOS open a little bit longer - you have until next week to share what HBOS represents in telecommunications. Join Chris in sharing what it means. And, the Why is SDN needed? challenge is only open until next Thursday when we'll be posting a new topic.
Here's your summary of what happened last week in and around the community.
Hello and Welcome
Hello and welcome to our newest members! Welcome: Oleg Babayev, Andrew Baumhauer, Anthony Brewer, Francois Eleouet, Mitchell Furbush, Paul Gampe, Carvin Hawthorne, Michael Melvin, Ahmed Rajab, Joshua Saucier, Tim Stoddard, Andrew Terry, Tyson Vinson, and Adrian Wong.
We're glad you're all here and look forward to hearing from you! We'd love to learn more about you and invite you to say hello at: Introduce yourself: What Ciena products do you use?
Share Your Experiences
Check out our open questions and share your expertise to help an industry colleague find a solution:
- Traffic Profiling question
- 6500 d7 configuration
- planet operate screen rotation
- SNMP trap trigger
- Link Budget Calculation for DWDM
- 100G interoperability between 8700 and Infinera XTM
- how can i pull Network Trail, WSS Statistics and Flow Point Inventory using API
- ILAN Port - Does this allow an active/active setup for 2 6500s in the same site?
- Saos 7x Egress Port Scheduler?
Have a question? Find your forum and ask the community.
Popular and Noteworthy
Our most popular answered questions based on your views last were:
- G.8032 failed to reroute
- 3930 Vlan configuration guide
- Configuration of Ciena 3930
- Ciena 3916 Configuration
- Does anyone have a procedure on how to change the management IP address of the 6500 ?
I Love Acronyms
We have a new acronym challenge for all of you! Our new acronym is:
To join the challenge, post what HBOS represents in a comment at: I Love Acronyms: HBOS. Points will be awarded to all participants with the correct answer and extra points are awarded to the first correct answer and the most creative answer. Good luck!!
What Is: SDN
- Why do you think SDN is needed?
- What do you think the greatest advantage of SDN is to your organization?
- How would you explain SDN to someone with no knowledge of technology?
Learn more about SDN by watching our new Chalk Talk and join Chris by sharing what it means to your role in telecommunications at: Why is SDN needed?
In Telecom News
- Why data security is more important than ever: Joe Marsella, CTO EMEA at Ciena discusses the implications of optical fibre hacking and why a holistic security strategy is essential, especially in the wake of the upcoming European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Read more.
- Carrier Ethernet Expertise: Are you certifiable?: The MEF Certification Committee recently introduced the next generation of its professional certification program by launching the Third Network Professional Certification framework. John Hawkins, Ciena's resident Carrier Ethernet expert, has all the details. Find more on Network Insights.
- Countdown to the General Data Protection Regulation (or GDPR) - are you ready?: Ciena’s Raffi Varoujian, Co-Lead for Global Compliance and Data Privacy, discusses the upcoming GDPR, what it means and how optical encryption can help significantly reduce the impact of a data breach. Confirm you’re ready.
- Cloud, IoT, FinTech & The Connectivity that Enables Them All: FinTech, cloud and IoT were hot topics at Data Center World 2017 in Hong Kong. Ciena's Willie Low details the conversations from the show. Learn more about the hot topics.
- Optical WDM Market Forecast to Grow Eight Percent in 2017, According to Dell’Oro Group
- Demand for 100G+ coherent WDM shifting away from China: Cignal AI
- Blockchain explained in plain English
- Mary Meeker’s 2017 internet trends report: All the slides, plus analysis
- The Right Questions to Ask About Data Center Strategy
- 5G - A building block for the smarter city
Of The Week
Happy memberversary to the following members for celebrating their first year in the Ciena Community with us this week: Antonio Bongiorno, Eyle Brinkhuis, theresa caragol, PHIL CARROLL, Dana Forsythe, Jim Gerrity, Sundeep Grewal, John Holoman, Cypryan Klish IIBob Krautner, Michael Milbrat, Miroslav Mitev, AMER NADEEM, Brian Nagel, Brett Newman, Mike Sideris, Timothy Smith, Gareth Spence, Dan Sproats, and Frederick Valcho. Thanks for being members!
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
This Wednesday, June 7th, is National Running Day - making it the perfect day to go for a run whether it be around the block or a few miles. I will be starting marathon training on June 17th, so this just makes me a little nervous.
Did You Know
That on June 5, 1977, the original Apple II computer goes on sale. The Apple II features included: a 1 MHz MOS 6502 processor, integrated keyboard, built in BASIC programming environment, expandable memory, monitor capable of color graphics, sound card, and eight expansion slots.
Have a "Did You Know" fact that you'd like share with the community? Post is as a comment below.
Have a great week and keep networking! I look forward to hearing from you.