I hope you're having a great start to your week. Here is a summary of what happened last week in and around the community, just in case you missed it. But, before we get started, don't forget to check out our new posts:
- Webinar: Taking Submarine Networks to the Extreme
- I Love Acronyms: I Love Acronyms: LEAF
- What Is: What do you think is the most important aspect of MPLS-TP?
Hello and Welcome
Hello and welcome to our newest members! Welcome: Prem Sai Chitikeshi, Dawn Cohen, Jason Contino, Tess Enriquez, Robert Harrison, David Janusz, Reji John, Vinay Kumar, Vijaykumar Kushwaha, Raymond Lee, Manjunath M J, Matthew Mavor, Carlos Merla, Nabin Pradhan, Jeevan Prakash, Manfred Schedlberger, Matthew Schwarz, Alan Vaughan, and Ryan Wett.
We're glad you're all here and look forward to hearing from you! We'd love to learn more about you and invite you to say hello at: Introduce yourself: What Ciena products do you use?
Share Your Experiences
Check out our open questions and share your expertise to help an industry colleague find a solution:
- Parity or ECC error during mem access
- Can A 3930 be switched from a 110v to a 208v and what does it need to do so?
- Define "interconnecting node."?
- interface ip-acl command
- Traffic Profiling question
- SNMP trap trigger
- Link Budget Calculation for DWDM
- 100G interoperability between 8700 and Infinera XTM
- how can i pull Network Trail, WSS Statistics and Flow Point Inventory using API
- ILAN Port - Does this allow an active/active setup for 2 6500s in the same site?
- Saos 7x Egress Port Scheduler?
Have a question? Find your forum and ask the community.
Popular and Noteworthy
Our most popular answered questions based on your views last were:
- G.8032 failed to reroute
- 3930 Vlan configuration guide
- 6500 d7 configuration
- When configuring traffic profiling, what formula do you use to calculate PIR, CBS,and EBS?
- How can we measure 100gbe power level with 4 lanes laser,we can see high power and low power in Site manager
I Love Acronyms
We have a new acronym challenge for all of you! Our new acronym is:
To join the challenge, post what LEAF represents in a comment at: I Love Acronyms: LEAF. Points will be awarded to all participants with the correct answer and extra points are awarded to the first correct answer and the most creative answer. Good luck!!
What Is: MPLS-TP
- What do you think is the most important aspect of MPLS-TP?
- What advancements do you see in the future of MPLS-TP?
- Is MPLS-TP “tomorrow’s network”?
- How would you explain MPLS-TP to a class of rowdy sixth graders?
Learn more about MPLS-TP and y sharing what it means to your role in telecommunications at: What is MPLS-TP to you?
In Telecom News
- GeoMesh Extreme: Release the Kraken!: Ciena’s Brian Lavallee delves into the depths of submarine networks and their importance to global communications, and how Ciena’s new GeoMesh Extreme allows submarine cable operators to integrate several technology advancements to enable an open submarine network solution with greater choice and performance. Read more.
- Dynamic MPLS-TP in the Metro Network... Why?: Ciena's Wayne Hickey gives a primer on the plethora of network routing protocols, and why the efficiency and flexibility of MPLS-TP makes it a great option for metro networks. Read more and then, join the What is MPLS-TP to you? discussion.
- Network Traffic Challenges? It’s Time for a New Perspective: Escalating bandwidth demands can mean only one thing…costly and complex network upgrades. But what if you could look at the challenge from a completely different perspective? Ciena’s Kent Jordan explains how. Read more.
- Are You Ready for the DOCSIS Impact on Fiber?: DOCSIS 3.1 has arrived, and it’s a gamechanger. With 10 times the download and upload speeds from its 9-year-old predecessor DOCSIS 3.0, broadband is about to get a whole lot faster. Ciena’s Wayne Hickey details how this will directly impact fiber deployments in cable networks. Read more.
- Why data security is more important than ever: Joe Marsella, CTO EMEA at Ciena discusses the implications of optical fibre hacking and why a holistic security strategy is essential, especially in the wake of the upcoming European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Read more.
- 3 things you need to know about cybersecurity in an IoT and mobile world ZDNet
- 5G - A building block for the smarter city CBR
- The internet is getting faster - but how depends on where you live recode
- OpenDaylight Foundation shows off Carbon for Metro Ethernet and the IoT FierceTelcom
- Streaming Service Use Now More Common Than Cable Subscriptions eMarketer
- Amazon Just Change the Net Neutrality Debate Fortune
- Ten best practices for securing the Internet of Things in your organization ZDNet
Of The Week
Happy memberversary to the following members celebrating their first year in the Ciena Community: Eric Martel, Gregory Peterson, Mark Bowman, Christopher Schafer and Mike Summers. Thank you for being members!
The human foot is a masterpiece of engineering and a work of art.
Leonardo da Vinci
Today, June 13th, is National Smile Power Day and the day to everyone to share the power of the smile. When we smile endorphins are released and help us feel happier - even faking a smile helps makes us happier, known as the facial feedback hypothesis. The more we stimulate our brain to release endorphins, the more often we feel happier and relaxed. Smile!!
Did You Know
That on June 10, 1858, that work on the first operational Transatlantic cable was started by two ships. The work was completed on August 5th and the first test message was sent on August 12th. However, the cable failed on September 18th and repair was not possible at the time. Read more.
Have a "Did You Know" fact that you'd like share with the community? Share it in a comment below.
Have a great week and keep networking! I look forward to hearing from you.