I hope you're having a great start to the new week! Before we jump into our usual edition of Community Happenings, here are a few things you may be interested in checking out:
- This is the last week of Packet Networking Summer Camp and there is still time to sign up and attend: Breaking up is hard to do. Moving on from TDM. tomorrow with Pamela Morgan and Highway to the danger zone. 400G need for speed. John Hawkins this Thursday. Learn more at Packet Networking Summer Camp.
- We have a new member under the spotlight: Chris O'Rourke. Check out Chris' member survey to get to know him a little more at: Member Spotlight: Chris O'Rourke.
- This is our last week of I Love Acronyms: B/P and we have a lot of great answers, but we may or may not have the correct answer quite yet. Think you know the answer? Share it at I Love Acronyms: B/P.
- We want to hear from you on what industry topics are impacting your role the most today.Tell us by voting in our new community poll: What industry topics are you most interested in hearing more about?
Now to highlights of what happened last week in and around the community. We have a lot of new members, welcome!, and a few new questions.
Hello and Welcome
Hello and welcome to our newest members! Welcome: Nandhini A, Rajesh Khan Agustin, Gregory Battle, JORGE BOHORQUEZ, Wade Bursch, Prabhu Chinnaraj, John Cowperthwaite, Brian Cowzer, Fabio Cza, William Eccles, Thomas Fehlhaber, Robert Jacobs, Chuck Johnson, Jeff klebine, Rajesh Kotak, Torsten Mehl, Dhandayudapani N, Mitul Patel, David Puruto, kannan raman, Taras Rinylo, David Roberts, James Robinson, gilberto rodriguez, Benjamin Songco, Ken Su, DHARMA TEJA TANETI, Ben Tito, and Balaram Vallab.
We're glad you're all here and look forward to hearing from you! We'd love to learn more about you and invite you to say hello at: Introduce yourself: What Ciena products do you use?
Share Your Experiences
Check out our open questions and share your expertise to help an industry colleague find a solution to their question:
- How can i remove the wrongly cascaded LIM from the OTS management?
- Non Ciena QSFPs
- Looking at extending our footprint form Houston to Dallas
- Terminal Loopbacks
- 4200 Template
- Mac address Lookup
Have a question? Find your forum and ask the community.
Popular and Noteworthy
Our most popular answered questions based on your views last week were:
- replacing SFP in 6500
- 6500 - ORL (optical return loss)
- 3930 Vlan configuration guide
- When configuring traffic profiling, what formula do you use to calculate PIR, CBS,and EBS?
- Difference between OLA in submarine optical communication & terreatrial Communication
I Love Acronyms
Ready to test your telecom acronym challenge? Let's go!
To join the challenge, share what B/P represents in a comment at: I Love Acronyms: B/P. Points will be awarded to all participants with the correct answer and extra points are awarded to the first correct answer and the most creative answer. Good luck!!
What Is: NFV
Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) is an evolving network approach that enables the replacement of expensive dedicated hardware devices with software-based network appliances that run as virtual machines on industry-standard servers. Learn more and watch the What is NFV? video. Then, join the discussion and share what NFV means to your role.
- How would you rate your organization adoption of NFV?
- What do you see, or have you seen, as the business benefits of NFV?
In Telecom News
- Ciena Podcast: The Road to 5G is Paved with Good Fiber: In our new Network Insights Podcast, 5G expert Brian Lavallee discusses the coming of 5G and what it means for the future of networks. Listen to the podcast.
- A DevOps Primer for Service Providers: 10 Key Technologies You Should Know: Looking to adopt DevOps concepts in your network? Ciena's Kevin Wade has 10 key technologies and tools you need to be familiar with. Read more.
Programming languages: Python is hottest, but Go and Swift are rising ZDNet
The Future Of Shopping: It’s In The Details Twice
791 data breaches so far in 2017: 6 things to know Becker’s Health IT and CIO Review
Winners and Losers in Next-Generation Internet Infrastructure Techonomy
Ciena CIO: 4 ways to increase IT’s strategic value The Enterprisers Project
NFV, SDN, Big Data - It’s All About Automation Light Reading
11 Ways The Advent of 5G Will Aid Your Business Forbes
Of The Week
Happy memberversary to the following members celebrating their first year in the Ciena Community: Stephen Cardot, Clarence Drennon, Mohan Gowda, Dan Heath, Karen Jenkins, Doug Johnson, Prem Kumar, MIke Miracle, Michael Moore, Yasuhiko Ogata, Daniel Pina, Bob Rodio, Takanori Sato, Ashish Kumar Tripathi, Jensen Tyler, and ryosuke yamabuki.
Imagination and fiction make up more than three quarters of our real life.
This Thursday, August 3rd is National Watermelon Day. With summer soon coming to an end, so is our watermelon consumption at picnics, fairs, cookouts, and more. This day really stood out to me too as I have a one year old and she loves watermelon right now. To celebrate, let’s plan on enjoying a slice of watermelon or grabbing a refreshing watermelon flavored beverage.
Did You Know
That this past Saturday, July 29th marked the 103rd anniversary of the first test call made on the newly completed transcontinental telephone line. The call took place between New York and San Francisco.