Today’s solar eclipse is the hot topic and it's been fun watching it live across the country. How did you spend your time during the solar eclipse? Did you watch with family, friends or colleagues? Did you travel to view it? Share your experience and pictures, in the comments below. (hint, Phil )
Scheduled Site Maintenance: Wednesday, August 23, 2017
Scheduled site maintenance will occur this Wednesday, August 23rd at approximately 8:30 PM ET and last about an hour. During this time, the community will be inaccessible. Learn more about the upcoming maintenance at: New Customer Service Center Login and Registration FAQ
Now, here is an overview of what happened in and around the community last week
Hello and Welcome
Hello and welcome to our newest members! Welcome: Jorge Aquino, Brad Boston, Emerson Carneiro, Howard Drew, hany elshamy, Jerry Green, Stanley Jaison, christian langlois, Roy Nak, Michael Peel, Dan Reffett, Dave Salatino, Paul Schaefer, Thomas Walsh, and Grahame Wright.
We're glad you're all here and look forward to hearing from you! We'd love to learn more about you and invite you to say hello at: Introduce yourself: What Ciena products do you use?
Share Your Experiences
Check out our open questions and share your expertise to help an industry colleague find a solution to their question:
Have a question? Find your forum and ask the community.
Popular and Noteworthy
Our most popular answered questions based on your views last week were the following, and they're all in Packet Networking
- The Way to manage the 3930 Swtich
- What are, if any, the ramifications of setting broadcast-containment filters network wide?
- 3960 Login issues.
- Can I bind MAC address on port of Ciena 3930/3960/3916 ?
- This is a question concerning Trap Events generated via 'port disable/port enable' on port 3/1 of a 4-port LAG on a CN5150.
Other discussions, polls and resources you may want to check out include:
- What industry topics are you most interested in hearing more about?
- Did you hear? Listen to the new, and first, Ciena Podcast: The Road to 5G is Paved with Good Fiber
- This Week I Learned: August 18th
- What is your favorite engineering joke?
I Love Acronyms
Test your telecom acronym knowledge by joining our new I Love Acronyms challenge. Our current acronym is:
To join the challenge, share what CODEC represents in a comment at: I Love Acronyms: CODEC. Points will be awarded to all participants with the correct answer and extra points are awarded to the first correct answer and the most creative answer. Good luck!!
What Is: Submarine Networking
How has the evolution to Open Submarine Networks (Coherent Optics, Open APIs and SDN) impacted your role in building and managing submarine networks? Learn more in this Chalk Talk and then join the discussion to ask your questions on submarine networking or share your role has been impacted.
In Telecom News
- #Ciena25: 25 pictures from 25 years at Ciena: This November marks the 25-year anniversary of Ciena's founding in 1992. To celebrate, we look back at the people, pictures and technologies from the last 25 years. In this post, we look back at 25 pictures from Ciena's history. Read more.
- The 5G Smart City: Cities are Lining up for a Slice: Smart Cities are coming, and 5G network slicing technology will enable them, with its ability to enable the critical services that smart cities will deploy. Ciena's Brian Lavallee explains. Read more.
- Next-Gen OTT Video-Services’ Massive Impact on Networks: The advent of new OTT video models like SVOD, TVOD, and AVOD are fundamentally changing how networks must scale for the delivery of content and connectivity. Ciena's Wayne Hickey explains. Read more.
- Network slicing will play a key role in 5G networks Network World
- Rats break the internet: Sky broadband goes down in London after rodents munch cables IBT
- SDN and NFV market ‘to be worth $54 billion’ by 2022 Capacity Media
- NEXT subsea cable will be fastest between US and APAC: Southern Cross ZDNet
Of The Week
Happy memberversary to the following members celebrating their first year in the Ciena Community: Régis Hamard, Kristin Jay, Nicholl Jones, Govind Narayan Rathore, Brian Richards, Jeff Stauffer, and Alexander Uglov.
Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
Alfred Lord Tennyson
This Tuesday, August 22nd is National Tooth Fairy Day. It is a day to honor the tooth fairy that came to life in an eight-page playlet in 1927 by Esther Watkins Arnold, called the Tooth Fairy. At the same time as the playlet, Sir Authur Conan Doyle made his claim that fairies and gnomes were real by publishing pictures of children surrounded by “verified” fairies.
Did You Know
That on August 20, 1911 the first commercial telegram was sent around the world to and from New York. The New York Times sent the message to test how fast a commercial message could be sent around the world. The telegram took 16.5 minutes to travelling 28,000 miles and relayed by 16 different operators.