We’re excited to kick off a weekly discussion to share what we learn each week to pass on the knowledge and make connections. Large or small and anything about your role, ongoing education, the telecom industry, this community, and more. Join us by sharing what you learned last week at: This Week I Learned: August 25th .
Also, don’t forget that we have site maintenance this week:
Scheduled Site Maintenance: Wednesday, August 30, 2017
Scheduled site maintenance will occur this Wednesday, August 30th at approximately 10:00 PM ET and last about an hour. During this time, the community will be inaccessible. Learn more about the upcoming maintenance at: New Customer Service Center Login and Registration FAQ.
Now, here is an overview of what happened in and around the community last week
Hello and Welcome
Hello and welcome to our newest members! Welcome: Ivan Amigo, Henry Barnard, Shawn Caron, Jason Ciotti, Arun Govindan, Gaurav Jain, Ted Jones, Shibu Kalidhasan, LC Lee, Shigeaki Maeda, Kevin McGarrell, Julian Ospina, Mark Pilkington, Nick Tabino, and junjun zhou.
We're glad you're all here and look forward to hearing from you! We'd love to learn more about you and invite you to say hello at: What Ciena products do you use?
Share Your Experiences
Check out our open questions and share your expertise to help an industry colleague find a solution to their question:
Have a question? Find your forum and ask the community.
Popular and Noteworthy
Our most popular answered questions based on your views last week were the following:
- The way to manage the 3930 switch
- Where can i find CPL Visio stencils?
- 3930 Vlan configuration guide
- When configuring traffic profiling, what formula do you use to calculate PIR, CBS,and EBS?
Other discussions, polls and resources you may want to check out include:
- What industry topics are you most interested in hearing more about?
- This Week I Learned: August 25th
- What is your favorite engineering joke?
I Love Acronyms
Test your telecom acronym knowledge by joining our new I Love Acronyms challenge. Our current acronym is:
To join the challenge, share what DACS represents in a comment at: I Love Acronyms: DACS. Points will be awarded to all participants with the correct answer and extra points are awarded to the first correct answer and the most creative answer. Good luck!!
What Is: Submarine Networking
How has the evolution to Open Submarine Networks (Coherent Optics, Open APIs and SDN) impacted your role in building and managing submarine networks? Learn more in this Chalk Talk and then join the discussion to ask your questions on submarine networking or share your role has been impacted.
In Telecom News
- Rock on with These Packet Networking Summer Camp On-Demand Jams: Did you miss any of Ciena’s Summer Camp “jam sessions” as part of the Packet Networking Summer Camp Series? Well, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Read more.
- Next-Gen OTT Video-Services' Massive Impact on Networks: The advent of new OTT video models like SVOD, TVOD, and AVOD are fundamentally changing how networks must scale for the delivery of content and connectivity. Ciena's Wayne Hickey explains. Read more.
- The 5G Smart City: Cities are Lining up for a Slice: Smart Cities are coming, and 5G network slicing technology will enable them, with its ability to enable the critical services that smart cities will deploy. Ciena's Brian Lavallee explains. Read more.
Quiz: What year is this tech from? Tech Republic
To get the most out of DevOps, go all in survey suggests ZDNet
No More Navel-Grazing: CORD Speeds Automation LightReading
CableLabs set to roll out NFV standards: report Fierce Cable
Make the transition from POCs to monetization models for SDN and NFV tmforum
Of The Week
Happy memberversary to the following members celebrating their first year in the Ciena Community: Anton Basil, Przemyslaw Grygiel, Chris Gullion, Kevin Hatem, Donald Hayward, Mischa Jampolsky, Dan Lubanga, klaus Samardzic, and Alexandre SEITZ.
Engineering is the closest thing to magic that exists in the world.
Today, August 28th, is National Bow Tie Day. Bow ties have increased in popularity over the years because of the former, and my favorite, Doctor Who, but did you know that the bow tie is thought to have first come from Croatian mercenaries in the 17th century during the Prussian wars. The mercenaries used bow ties to hold together the opening of their shirts.
Did You Know
That on August 22, 1987, The Legend of Zelda was released for the Nintendo Entertainment System in North America. Over 6.5 million copies of game were sold and it is often featured in lists of games considered the greatest or most influential.