We officially have five more weeks of 2017, and it is going to go by fast. This is typically the time that I start stressing because I'm not ready for the holiday season, it's just always here just a bit too soon, and more importantly, when I start reflecting on the past and upcoming, new year. As we get closer to the new year, I'll start a series of discussions for us to reflect on this past year and the upcoming, new year together. Stay tuned!
Here are other ways to get involved in the community this week:
- Share Your Feedback: Ciena Community Member Survey: and help us improve the community.
- I Love Acronyms: SNCP: test your telecom acronym knowledge in our new I Love Acronyms challenge.
- Introduce yourself: What Ciena products do you use? : join the conversation to say hello and meet other members.
Now, here are your highlights of what happened around the community last week.
Hello and Welcome
Hello and welcome to our newest members! Welcome: Cyril Avila, Alok bhardwaj, Darren Cole, akash deep, James DesChamps, Henri George, Ghassen Jendoubi, Zuhair Khan, andrew lee, Melissa Legg, Paul Lodronio, Gary Quast, Randy Schumacher, Jordi SMIRES, and Ben Warfield.
We're glad you're here and look forward to hearing from you! Introduce yourself: What Ciena products do you use?
Popular and Noteworthy
Our most popular questions based on your views last week were the following:
- Mac address Lookup
- Command file keeps trying to upgrade software
- Exactly where can I find the MIC (Maintenance Interface Card) on the Ciena 6500 series?
- When configuring traffic profiling, what formula do you use to calculate PIR, CBS,and EBS?
- How can we measure 100gbe power level with 4 lanes laser,we can see high power and low power in Site manager
- What is difference between ODUk SPRing protection and SNCP
- Can 6130 handle 1G traffic?
Of The Week
Happy memberversary to the following members celebrating their first year in the Ciena Community: Steven Casewell, Jack Fenton, anthony grelet, ARUN HARCHARAN, kevin houston, HyunYoung Hwang, Didier Le Meur, Wilson Li, Rich Ortiz, Martial PREVOST, Jonathan Rivera, Mina Wagdy, and Mark Yawson.
If you look closely, most overnight successes took a long time.
This big day this week is today, Cyber Monday. Observed annually on the Monday after Thanksgiving, Cyber Monday was developed as a way for internet-based companies to have a way to compete with Black Friday (the Friday after Thanksgiving and typically held in brick and mortar retail stores). This year, 2017, consumers are expected to spend $6.6 billion online - a 16.5% year over year growth compared to 2016’s Cyber Monday. Will you be shopping online today? I heard toys are where to find the best savings. (source)
Did You Know
Yesterday, November 26th, was the day that United States Patent 5,579,430 was granted to the Fraunhofer Institute in Germany for a “digital encoding process” known as MP3. Patented in the United States in 1996, Fraunhofer began work on MP3 in 1987 and was previously awarded a patent for it in Germany in 1989. MP3 technology made development of the digital music industry easier by creating a compressible, high quality format that enabled many songs to fit on a small storage device - and why we can celebrate the introduction of the iPod on October 23rd.
Have a great week and keep networking!