Happy Tuesday, how was the start of your week? Below is a collection of what's been happening in the community over the past week! Please join us in welcoming new members to the community, celebrating those with one-year memberversaries, and joining the conversation with a new question, idea, like, comment, follow, or vote. Have a great rest of your week!
Hello and Welcome
Please join us in welcoming our newest members to the Ciena Community! Welcome: Francisco Baltazar, Stephane Bedard, Purushotham Bhaskar, Srinivasa Raju Birudaraju, Saqib Chughtai, Scott Collett, Chris DAngelo, Ted Duby, Kerry Fagan, Niba Flazam, Jeffrey Gembler, Josh Hall, Alberto Hernandez, Robert Holtz, Gregory Hooten, warsame jama, Jimmy Johnson, Arun Jyothi, Ujjval Kansal, Ashay Kharpate, Jeff Kwasha, Wensen Leeloy, Jason Lixfeld, Leontina Malaze, Roberto Martinez, Daniel McCoon, Robert McHugh, Pramod Mishra, Tunde Oni, Kideok Park, Kenneth Patterson, Norbert Perecsenyi, Benjamin Postle, Petri Railamo, Guillermo Sanchez, sasirekha saravanan, Vilmos Selmeczi, Hany Sherif, Devashri Shiralkar, Harminder Singh, Trudy Taylor Jandray Villegas, Neil White, and Ladye Wilkinson!
We're so glad to have you and would like to extend an invitation to share something about yourself and your favorite Ciena products, as well as learn more about other members of the community on our introduce yourself thread!
Popular and Noteworthy
The most popular questions based on your views:
- Command file keeps trying to upgrade software
- Exactly where can I find the MIC (Maintenance Interface Card) on the Ciena 6500 series?
- How can we measure 100gbe power level with 4 lanes laser,we can see high power and low power in Site manager
- Firmware Version Mismatch / Invalid with Software Version alarm is not getting cleared
- Ciena 4200 commands list
- After firmware Upgrade, 10G optic not unrecognized?
- When configuring traffic profiling, what formula do you use to calculate PIR, CBS,and EBS?
- need list of commands for troubleshooting for deployed customer services.
- what causes NE_LOA ?
- How do I get NCP communications up on a CoreStream?
Top Service Ideas with the most votes. (Must be a user of my.ciena.com to view, create, and vote on ideas.)
- Ciena Learning App
- The Power Finder
- Equipment Utilization
- Maintenance Impact Analysis
- Network Inventory
Don't forget to check out our Service Ideas themes:
- Augmented Reality (AR) in Ciena's Service portfolio
- Spreadsheet Killer Overview
- Navigation, simplified.
Submit an idea and receive 10 points to win the exclusive Service Ideas "I'm an idea person" t-shirt. Learn more.
Other noteworthy activity and content throughout the community.
- The Atlanta Hackathon Is On!
- Optical Networking Back-to-School 2018
- Join Us in Celebrating: Online Learning
- Blue Planet Hackathon Aspirational Award goes to...
- Tuning 10G SFP+'s on the 5170
- Share Your Experiences: Questions That Need Answers (September 20)
- This Week I Learned: September 21st
- I Love Acronyms: RPD
- Introduce yourself: What Ciena products do you use?
- 52 Weeks of Learning Leaderboard: Round Three
Of The Week
Happy memberversary to the following members celebrating their first year in the Ciena Community: Walter De Smedt, Jim Dlabick, Olivier Gosselet, Eduard Ibragimov, Kenny Kant, Rasmus Lund, Adriana Pardo Quintero, Kristen Salzman, Clark Scott, Miriam Spektor, Paul Steel, and Ryan Taylor!
Ideas do not always come in a flash but by diligent trial-and-error experiments that take time and thought.
Charles K. Kao
Only one week left in this round of I Love Acronyms: RPD! Be sure to check it out and reply with what you think RPD means in telecom for a chance to earn points toward round three of 52 Weeks of Learning!
Click the link to go to 52 Weeks of Learning Challenge: 2018 for more content and activities like this, and to see how you can compete for the opportunity to win a one-year subscription to the Ciena Learning Develop Series – more than 75 courses on Packet-Optical, Packet, and Software!
Visit I Love Acronyms: DP-QPSK to check out the correct answer and winners of the last round.
Today, September 25th is National One-Hit Wonder Day! Celebrate by jamming to your favorite artists and that one song that made them memorable. Some well-known one-hits include "Macarena" by Los Del Rio (1996), "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell (1982), "Mickey" by Toni Basil (1982), "Who Let the Dogs Out?" by Baha Men (2000), "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice (1990), & "Take on Me" by A-ha (1985). What one-hit wonders will you be adding to your queue?
Did You Know
Charles K. Kao was a Nobel Prize winner for work he published in 1966 that argued glass fiber as the superior medium for telecom. Kao worked at the Standard Telecommunications Laboratory in Harlow, UK, which Ciena later acquired.
Unfortunately, Kao suffered from Alzheimer's disease and passed away Sunday morning (9/23) in Hong Kong. His work has contributed substantially to shaping the telecom industry into what we know today.
Have a great week and keep networking!