We’re over halfway through December now and getting even closer to the new year, 2017. I'm not even sure how that is possible, but I’m already getting myself prepared for writing 2017 and not, 2016. It typically takes me half the year to make this change consistently, but not in this new year.
Before we get into community happenings from last week, here is a fun fact about today, December 19th, and especially for all our members in Canada. On this day in 1917, the National Hockey League (NHL) opened its first season with four teams of the NHL playing in the league’s first two games. At the time, the league consisted of four franchises: the Canadiens and the Wanderers from Montreal, the Ottawa Senators, the Quebec Bulldogs and the Toronto Arenas. How many NHL fans do we have out there and what is your favorite franchise?
Hello and welcome to the newest members of our community! Welcome: Lior Bar, Casey Boyles, Assaf Broutman, Mohammad Eneim, Rob Gnaedinger, Benjamin Jacobs, Pedro Montero, Geoff Newson, Huy Nguyen, Camille Oudot, Mohamed Oughrom, Harold Payne, Mark Reyes, Josh Rogers, Sridhar Sikha, Sergio Sousa and Tom Young.
We're glad you're here and look forward to hearing from you! We'd love to learn more about you and your role and invite you to say hello.
- Our Gift To You: Ciena's Ultimate eBook Holiday Bundle is Here: Just in time for the holidays, we've made our three most popular technology eBooks available for download, and added two new reference guides, all in one bundle. Learn more or download, here. Here's what you'll get:
- Carrier Ethernet Essentials eBook
- Mobile Backhaul Essentials eBook
- Experts Guide to Optical Transport Networking eBook
- SDN/NFV Glossary
- Telecom Acronyms Guide
- New Fiber Optics Fundamentals Course Available: Sign up for the new Fiber Optics Fundamentals course and get up to speed on telecom basics. Learn more from Rob Gnaedinger in New Fiber Optics Fundamentals Course Gets You Up to Speed on Telecoms.
- New Blue Planet DevOps Toolkit Release: A new version of the Blue Planet DevOps Toolkit was released last week. Check out what's new in the Release Notes. Not a member? Learn more about Blue Planet.
We have the opportunity for you to share your knowledge and expertise and collaborate with peers and members of the Ciena team in the following open questions:
- 6.X G.8032 inter-operability with Cisco IOS
- Why aren't the 3931 6.15.00.xxx cofig changes for traffic-services for "dot1dpri-cos 1-2" and "dot1dpri-cos 3-5" taking place?
- How do I get NCP communications up on a CoreStream?
Have questions? Here are few featured topics to start asking and collaborating:
Find all topics in: Guide to Ciena Community Forums and Topics.
Drum roll, please! Here are last week’s most viewed blogs, resources, discussions and questions from the around the community:
- Guide to Ciena Community Forums: A quick guide to all of the forums in the Ciena Community to help you find where to ask questions, connect with peers and learn from product experts. Find your forum and follow it.
- Ciena Offers FREE 6500 Packet-Optical Platform Course: Learn how you can get the most out of your 6500 with an overview of the basics (shelves, circuit packs, topologies and much more). Learn how to sign up.
- Introduce yourself: What Ciena products do you use? : In this thread, get to know some of the other members in the community and say hello and introduce yourself by joining and posting a response. Say hello.
- Ethernet loopback cabling: Check out this active thread to learn about creating an Ethernet loopback cable for 1Gig (rg45) ports on a 5140 or 5150. Check it out.
- Ethernet Packet Rate and Throughput Calculations: A Packet Networking resource form Jitendra to help you better understand packet rate, throughput and bandwidth calculations on Ethernet links related to testing. Check it out and share your feedback and questions.
Following is one of the key features in the Ciena Community to assist you in staying informed, building connections and sharing your experiences to help others. Learn more about how you can follow other members, your forum(s) and content that is important to you and your role in this About the Ciena Community resource: Start Following People, Forums and Content.
That’s it for this Ciena Community Happenings post this week. I hope all of you have a great week, safe travels and a wonderful time with friends and family. Due to the upcoming holidays, we'll be taking a break next week from Community Happenings, but we'll be back the following week, and a day late, on January 3, 2017.
Happy New Years and keep networking!
Have comments, ideas or suggestions for our weekly post (including a fun fact)? Send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.