What do all of these numbers have in common?
Well, as of Tuesday, May 16th, the Ciena Community celebrated one year, or 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days and 8,760 hours, and more than 2,300 members from around the world registered to join the community. Here are a few stats around the people, places and content in the community during our first year:
More than 2,300 members from more than 65 countries joined the community and made more than 1,200 connections with peers and Ciena SMEs. Browse the member directory and connect with peers.
The top five forums in the community based on your views were:
We also welcomed our EMEA partners, Ciena Champions and the Women@Ciena members to the community. Find your forum and follow it.
More than 900 threads were posted and nearly 1,600 responses for a total of 2,500 posts. Where were most of the threads and responses posted? Most of the questions were posted in Converged Packet Optical (33%), followed by Packet Networking and Blue Planet (both at 29%).
In addition, there were more than 50,000 views of answered questions, 5,000 searches, and 1,400 likes on threads and responses. We also introduced: I Love Acronyms, What is ____ to you?, and Member Spotlights.
Now back to our regular standard programming, a summary of what happened last week in and around the community.
Hello and Welcome
Hello and welcome to our newest members! Welcome: Ali Al Masadeh, Ivan Bonato, Jeff Cook, Austin Davis, Shawn Erdmann, Jeff Franckhauser, Gianardo Franco, Tony George, Peter Krüger, Vaibhav Marathey, Harvey Newman, Peter Ojala, John Stauffenberg, Sean Wang, and Joe Witts.
We're glad you're all here and look forward to hearing from you! We'd love to learn more about you and invite you to say hello at: Introduce yourself: What Ciena products do you use?
Share Your Experiences
Check out our open questions and share your expertise to help an industry colleague find a solution:
- Is it possible to manually send traps from a device?
- Link Budget Calculation for DWDM
- spanning tree
- 100G interoperability between 8700 and Infinera XTM
- how can i pull Network Trail, WSS Statistics and Flow Point Inventory using API
- ILAN Port - Does this allow an active/active setup for 2 6500s in the same site?
- Saos 7x Egress Port Scheduler?
Have a question? Find your forum and ask the community.
Popular and Noteworthy
Our most popular answered questions based on your views last were:
- This is a question concerning Trap Events generated via 'port disable/port enable' on port 3/1 of a 4-port LAG on a CN5150.
- G.8032 failed to reroute
- Blue Planet MCP Technical Documentation
- 3930 Vlan configuration guide
- Configuration of Ciena 3930
I Love Acronyms
We have a new acronym challenge for all of you! Our new acronym is:
To join the challenge, post what HBOS represents in a comment at: I Love Acronyms: HBOS. Points will be awarded to all participants with the correct answer and extra points are awarded to the first correct answer and the most creative answer. Good luck!!
What Is: SDN
- Why do you think SDN is needed?
- What do you think the greatest advantage of SDN is to your organization?
- How would you explain SDN to someone with no knowledge of technology?
Learn more about SDN by watching our new Chalk Talk and join Chris by sharing what it means to your role in telecommunications at: Why is SDN needed?
In Telecom News
- What is FlexEthernet and why is it so important?: FlexEthernet (FlexE) is a new flexible Ethernet client interface standard defined by the OIF. Ciena's Helen Xenos explains what it does and why it's so important to the future of software-defined optical networks. Read more.
- Get Ready to Geek Out! Ciena’s Guide to Geek Pride: Last Thursday was International Geek Pride Day. Ciena celebrating with some of the stellar minds at Ciena by looking at the careers and insights of some of our best and brightest resident “geeks” here. Learn more.
- Lessons from TMFLive: How the Pace of Operations Drives Digital Success: Digital transformation is an oft-used phrase in industry circles. In general, the term is used to describe how organizations can harness the latest digital technologies to improve their business. But in the context of communications service providers (CSPs), what does that really mean? According to the TM Forum, digital transformation means evolving beyond basic connectivity and becoming a digital service enabler that capitalizes on the applications of technology. And ultimately, that business model shift will be rewarded with higher market capitalization. Read more.
- Verizon’s 5G demo at Indy 500 race track is kind of mind-blowing
- Making the Autonomous Network a Reality
- Containers vs. virtual machines: A simplified answer to a complex question
- The World’s Largest Telecom Companies: AT&T And Verizon Top China Mobile
- Europe strives to standardize cybersecurity
- 10 Ways CIOs Can Run Their Business Like a Business
- How IoT, 5G & NFV Will Impact Data Center Infrastructure
- Facebook Flexes Networking Muscles
Of The Week
Happy memberversary to the following members for celebrating their first year in the Ciena Community with us this week: Juan Ignacio Alfaro, Keith Lewis, Taekho Nam, Dimitar Parashkevovo, and Jerre Place. Thanks for being members!
Projects we have completed demonstrate what we know - future projects decide what we will learn.
Dr. Mohsin Tiwana
This Friday, June 2nd is looking to be a pretty great day: National Leave the Office Early Day and National Doughnut Day. There is nothing wrong with starting your day with a doughnut and then leaving the office early to start the weekend. IMO, the perfect way to wrap up the week.
Did You Know
That on May 30, 1911, the inaugural Indianapolis 500 ran at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indiana. The 200-lap, two-and-a-half mile race has become a Memorial Day weekend tradition and is now the largest sporting event in the world, attended by nearly 270,000 spectators annually.
Have a "Did You Know" fact that you'd like share with the community? Post is as a comment below.
Have a great week and keep networking! I look forward to hearing from you.